Friday, March 23, 2012

What is Fashion???


                What is fashion?  Well, to be perfectly honest, I’m not sure.  To me, trying to understand fashion is similar to men trying to understand women; it just can’t be done.  We can watch it on television, study it in magazines, even try to replicate it in our own wardrobes but the problem is, as soon as we think we’ve got it, think we’ve pinned it down, it changes, and we have to start all over.
                I am in FAME, the University of Virginia’s main fashion club which, for years, has acted as a resource to help students express their identities and artistic talents through fashion.  In FAME, I am among a group of talented students from around the world who have come together to celebrate an art that humans practice every day.  No, we are not all art majors- some of us want to be teachers, or business women, even psychologists, but that does not matter.  FAME, like fashion, is accessible to everyone.
                FAME believes that people should be beautiful, inside and out because, let’s face it, being fashionable does not always mean you have the newest Michael Khors bag.  Being fashionable means you are constructing the best, most expressive body possible, and that is what our club sets out to do.  If you take anything from this blog, let it be that fashion is not owned by any one person; in fact it isn’t owned by anyone.  Like I said before, fashion is continuously evolving and, just when you think you have control over it, it has done something completely new and surprising.  Unfortunately, we’ll never be able to pin this thing down, but FAME has taught me that the chase is much more enjoyable when you do it with company.
                So what is fashion?  What defines it?  Where will it lead us?  As you can probably guess by now, I haven’t the slightest clue.  All I can say is that it thrills the hell out of me to think about what I’ll discover as I try to find the answers. 
Happy Styling,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment